Episode 5: Knitting stripes
Welcome to episode 5 of The Ordinary Knitter. This week: the pros and cons of knitting stripes flat or in the round, changing a nice simple pattern into an intarsia nightmare, finding good YouTube knitting videos and eating my words on blocking.
Ft knitting patterns:
- Baby Sleep Pod (my Ravelry project page)
- Rolled Edge Raglan Baby Sweater by Joan Neumiller/Joan Marie (my Ravelry project page)
- Autumn in Alta Poncho (my Ravelry project page)
Ft knitting videos:
- Knitting Help – Correcting Color-Change Jog (Staci Perry, also Very Pink)
- Knitting Help – Intarsia
- Jeny’s Stretchy Slipknot Cast-On
- Jeny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-off
- How to Knit Picking Up Dropped Stitches Purlwise by New Stitch a Day Knitting & Crochet Video Tutorials
This is a sneak peek at the next baby sleep pod I have on the go. I absolutely LOVE the colours in this. After knitting the last baby sleep pod carrying the pending stripe colours along vertically and having floppy yarn loop nightmares, then knitting the wee hat flat and having stripe-matching seaming nightmares, I’m doing this one properly. I’m knitting it in the round, cutting the yarn after each stripe is over. I’m trying the technique to avoid the colour jog but I’m not sure if I’m causing myself other problems. I’ll report back.
PurpleLinda Crafts, where I placed my latest yarn order. Great customer service, good choice of yarns in a range of colours, good prices and reasonable delivery. I’ll definitely be using PurpleLinda Crafts again.
Btw I have a new computer – woot! – but listening to the recording it’s slightly hissy so please bear with me while I get used to the sensitivities of this new machine. I think I might call it Marvin.